On this day, 103 years ago, Britain declared war on Germany. This was to be a decision that effected so many innocent people, kill so many and was to always be remembered.
Britain did this due to Germanys support towards Belgium and France. This also included Britain turning on Turkey, due to their allegiance with Germany.
The main incident that which set this whole war in motion was the assassination of the Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand by a Serbian nationalist the event happening on 28th June, 1914. Britain declared war on Germany on August 4th 1914 due to many domino effects with other country rivalries, but rivalry between these two countries had been growing for many many years. Germany resented Britain due to their control of the world’s oceans and markets, where as Britain viewed a Europe that was dominated by a powerful and aggressive German population to be seen as a threat, which had to be dealt with.
Here's a run down;
1. The assassination of the Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand by Serb nationalist – 28th June 1914
2. Austria-Hungary declares war on Serbia – 28th July 1914
3. Germany declares war on Russia – 1st August 1914
4. Germany invades Belgium – 3rd August 1914
5. Germany declares war on France – 3rd August 1914
6. Britain declares war on Germany – 4th August 1914
7. Austria-Hungary declares war on Russia – 6th August 1914
8. Britain declares war on Austria-Hungary – 12th August 1914
9. Russia declares war on Ottoman Turkey – 2nd November 1914
10. Britain declares war on Ottoman Turkey – 5th November 1914
11. Italy declares war on Austria-Hungary – 23rd May 1915
12. Bulgaria declares war on Serbia – 14th October 1915
13. Britain declares war on Bulgaria – 15th October 1915
14. Russia declares war on Bulgaria – 19th October 1915
WW1 is something that shook the world to it's core. It is not something that will ever be forgotten and, nor should it be. It should, in my eyes, just be understood a little more as to what caused this awful event.
With love, Charlotte x